Friday, December 1, 2017

for today

for today...

outside my window...  39F & cloudy
i am thinking... all of my gift purchases will be with our local vendors
* Shop Local *
i am thankful for... the sights, the sounds, and the smells of Christmas
i am wearing... my peach/gray plaid flannel jammies & MukLuks slippers,
enjoying my morning coffee and a slice of panettone
i am going... to the 34th annual Dicken's of a Christmas in Wellsboro, PA;
to Cuba, NY on Sunday for Zweigle's kielbasa for the holidays
(it's as far south from Rochester NY that they will deliver)
i am currently reading... "The Alice Network," author Kate Quinn,
and, "A Cup of Christmas Tea," author Tom Hegg
i am hoping...  because of the current La Nìna weather pattern,
it will be a mild December, as I dread driving on snowy country roads
Can the height of pinecones predict winter for you? ~
on my mind... gas @ $2.85/gallon, milk @ $2.05/gallon, sugar @ $1.99/4 lb
pondering these words... "The hush comes with the deepening of Autumn; but it comes gradually.
Our ears are attuned to it, day by quieter day. But even now, if one awakens in the deep darkness of
the small hours, one can hear it, a foretaste of Winter silence."  ~ Hal Borland ~
from the kitchen... gingerbread, panettone, toll house cookies, eggnog,
and an unopened box {for how long I'm unsure} of ribbon candy
🌲Christmas Week, our traditional Polish recipes are prepared 🌲
Cruschicki's are first on the list to be made, then the Babkas, and if there's time, Pierogies;
if not, the pierogies will be made the week after Christmas, to celebrate New Year's Day!
around the house... paperwhites & poinsettias, holly & mistletoe, and freshly cut pine branches
a few of my favorite things...  "Vixen," Santa's Favorite Reindeer;
Tchaikovsky's "The Nutcracker," traditionally, the first Christmas album played,
 ♪ on Thanksgiving morning while I'm brewing the coffee, and all through the month of December ♫
a down featherbed nestled beneath soft, warm flannel sheets
i'm creating... a new fb timeline cover, a 'Scrap the Holidays' Challenge,
and the December Challenges @ The Lilypad
a few plans for the week... a new firebox insert for my woodstove to be installed; chimney cleaning; 
stack a cord of firewood; another batch of elderberry jelly will be made, and holiday ribbons
need to be tied around the jars of jelly, salsa verde & Major Grey's chutney to be gifted
from my lens:

saw this Nutcracker in a shop window
in Wellsville NY ♥ click
purchased some bubble lights that day too!

you can join the simple woman's daybook where every day is a blank page, and participate in creating a list of the simple things and everyday moments of our daily lives.

4 comments:

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

You're busy in the kitchen. I bet it smells so nice there as you're getting ready for Christmas. Very good idea to buy locally to support small businesses.

bensarmom said...


Your post brought back some wonderful memories. We had ribbon candy in the house at Christmas growing up.
I love, A Cup of Christmas Tea. My friend got me the book and a tea cup and tea pot as a gift one year.
We made Toll House Cookies as kids and had eggnog on hand as well. I'm sitting here thinking of other wonderful Christmas memories. Thanks.

Kay R. said...

Enjoyed your thoughts and photos! Puts me in the Christmas spirit :)

allisamazing said...

I hate driving on snowy roads as well and have been so thankful that this year so far they have been clear. I am hoping it stays that way! Thanks for sharing your daybook :)